Get to Know Us
We are a non-profit organization dedicated to eliminating substandard housing and creating homeownership opportunities for families in need of a decent, secure and affordable home.
- We are not a giveaway program, we provide a leg-up for those who want to help themselves.
- We are able to construct the houses through voluntary labor, donated materials and monetary contributions.
- The houses are sold to partner families at a no-profit/no-interest for Habitat. The real cost of the house is subsidized by donations from individuals and corporations.
- Families are required to invest ‘sweat equity’ hours in the construction of the houses and to participate in first homebuyer Workshops.
- The monthly mortgage payments are used to build more Habitat homes.
- The Family Selection Committee chooses the families based on their level of need, willingness to become partners in the program and their ability to repay the loan.
- We follow a non-discriminatory policy of family selection.
- Each affiliate is responsible acquiring the funds necessary to fulfill its mission.
- We were founded in 1997 as the 1,348th affiliate of HFH International.
- Habitat shares 10% of its unrestricted donations with the Dominican Republic affiliate.
- Our first housing project of thirteen row houses is located in San Juan between the communities of Cantera and Villa Palmeras.
- In February 2009, we inaugurated our 14th house in the Amelia Ward of the Municipality of Guaynabo.
In August 2009 we will start the construction of two new houses in Guaynabo.